WINM Forums :: The Library :: ack, foreshadowing!

ack, foreshadowing!
Anakin McFly
2008-09-23 18:52:13

ADMIN

Forum Posts: 3074
Comments: 405
Reviews: 1
From a March 1994 interview:

...Reeves is too much a movie star to make a steady diet of bad dudes, but any ideal character for him would be one that included a measure of darkness. If James Ellroy's long-optioned, never-filmed triple-noir The Black Dahlia ever gets to the big screen, the part of the dubious protagonist, cop Bucky Bleichert, could be fashioned to Reeves's strengths. As Bleichert, Reeves would be able to scheme, obsess, seethe and screw up, all of which he does well. Granted, a good deal of Bleichert, as written, doesn't suit Reeves. But Ellroy's story about the gruesome. real-life, late '40s unsolved murder of a beautiful trick-turning screen hopeful is so complicated that it would take a substantial makeover to give it commercial potential anyway, and it's so dark that, even after the streamlining, an appealing young star would have to be cast to make it viable. The tinkering could just as well be designed to accommodate Reeves. It's well within Reeves's range to suggest that underneath the handsome, mask-like exterior he would provide for Bleichert, lie the erotic kinks that fuel this young ambitious cop's obsession with the murder and its victim. Reeves is not the kind of actor who can fill out an underwritten, middle-of-the-road Hollywood cop character - which is what he tried to do in the dismal, though fun, Point Break. He is the kind of actor who can effortlessly tamp down well-written dysfunctionals-with-saving-graces (as in River's Edge), and that's exactly what Ellroy's brilliant creation Bleichert is. Moreover, one of the reasons Bleichert would be an ideal role for Reeves is that it would allow him to play with Ellroy's hardball dialogue, which he's in desperate need of demonstrating the ability to do after all the arch period cadences he's struggled with of late. 

LucaM
2008-09-23 23:55:29

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13
yeah, I read that too... and I thought the same

anyway... better later than never , huh ?

he could be also Dave Klein from Ellroy's White Jazz ... that's another Ellroy adaptation project that a lot of people have toyed with and seems to go nowhere...

EverythingIsMagic
2008-09-24 02:05:33

Forum Posts: 328
Comments: 0
Reviews: 0
I see archiving the articles is paying off Anakin! Good find!

I don't disagree with the author's assessment regarding Keanu, but they *did* bring the Black Dahlia to the big screen and well yuck! As much as I love Josh Hartnett it was just a horrible movie IMO.

I think Keanu played John Constantine well. With all his angst and all. JMO
LucaM
2008-09-24 02:41:01

well, IMO, "Black Dahlia" the movie did not do justice to the novel...

then again, I read somewhere that the movie was butchered in the editing room... so...

but the novel is great - if one likes that type of literature.

actually, I discovered Ellroy while 'doing research' for "Street Kings". read almost all his books ; it's been quite a trip ...

I think Keanu played John Constantine well. With all his angst and all.

yeah, that

EverythingIsMagic
2008-09-24 08:28:51

(LucaM @ Sep 24 2008, 02:41 AM)
well, IMO, "Black Dahlia" the movie did not do justice to the novel...

then again, I read somewhere that the movie was butchered in the editing room... so...

but the novel is great - if one likes that type of literature.

actually, I discovered Ellroy while 'doing research' for "Street Kings".  read almost all his books ; it's been quite a trip ...

I think Keanu played John Constantine well. With all his angst and all.
yeah, that

I didn't read Black Dahlia, but I'll take your word for it. (I wasn't dissing Ellroy or the book) Just the movie was not good! IMO

And it could be it was butchered in the editing room. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

I'll put that book on my "to read" list.

I love it when researching something else leads to something else!
LucaM
2008-09-24 14:59:11

don't take my word for it, we might have different criteria... or taste in reading...

but give it a try, then you'll see what the movie was missing

I love it when researching something else leads to something else! 

me too especialy when one follows the breadcrumbs thread and arrives in totally unexpected places...

EverythingIsMagic
2008-09-25 02:00:42

don't take my word for it, we might have different criteria... or taste in reading...

but give it a try, then you'll see what the movie was missing 
I loved L.A. Confidential the movie and yet I still haven't gotten around to reading any Ellroy. I don't know why? It's something I've been meaning to do.

I really do have Black Dahlia on my reading list. I've got a few books going right now and then a few more I want to read, but it's on there!

I love it when researching something else leads to something else!รก

me too   especialy when one follows the breadcrumbs thread and arrives in totally unexpected places...

So true!

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.