WINM Forums :: The Library :: Rebuilding CK's article archive...

Rebuilding CK's article archive...
Anakin McFly
2008-09-17 12:22:16

ADMIN

Forum Posts: 3074
Comments: 405
Reviews: 1
...They have a heck lot of articles.

Finished locating and saving 68 articles from 1987 - 1991 this morning, with the exception of the following:

1. February 1989 Details (US) KEANU REEVES - HAWAIIAN PUNK by Shari Roman
2. March 1989 Interview (US) VALLEY BOYS by Brad Kessler
3. March 1989 Sky (UK) Prince Of Comedy by Angela Holden
4. March 9, 1989 Rolling Stone (US) Peaking in the Valley by Lynn Snowden
5.June 1989 Young Americans (UK) Keanu Reeves - the Prince
6. August 1989 Miss Vogue (Ge) Idole - Keanu Reeves
7. April 1991 Petra (Ge) Der sch�ne Au�enseiter
8. June 1991 Teen Machine (Aus) Is It True Keanu Doesn't Bathe?
9. July 14, 1991 Boston Herald (US) Riding The Waves by Stephen Schaeffer
10. July 14, 1991 Toronto Sun (Ca) Having A Devil of A Time by John Sakamoto
11. July 23, 1991 Newsday (US) ONE GOOFY DUDE... by Chris Willman
12. July 23, 1991 The Virginian-Pilot (US) RAISING KEANU by Mal Vincent
13. September 17, 1991 Star (US) Party on, dude
14. September 26, 1991 Bravo (Ge) Alles �ber Keanu Reeves aus "Gef�hrliche Brandung"
15. October 1991 Dolly (Aus) Keanu's just a happy hippy by Rachelle Unreich
16. October 1991 Girlfriend (Aus) The key to Keanu by Steve Korte
17. October 1991 Cine Revue (Fr) Keanu Reeves: le cin�ma a transform� le vendeur de pizzas en indole by Paul Wallace
18. October 1991 Star Club (Fr) Keanu Reeves � On lui pr�dit un grand avenir
19. October 1991 Pop/Rocky (Ge) Karrierestart mit 30 Dollar!
20. November 1991 Seventeen (US) 31 things that make you go hmmmm... about Keanu Reeves by Cindy Pearlman
21. December 1991 BB (US) Is Keanu Reeves Really A Shy Guy?

IF YOU HAVE ANY OF THOSE, PLEASE SEND THEM TO ME.

Also, volunteers to continue the archiving would be great - I don't know how much longer their cached versions will be available on the Internet, and some might otherwise be lost forever.

What you do is you go here: http://web.archive.org/web/20070912081621/...ticle_arch.html

1. Claim a year that no one else has picked yet. PLEASE POST THE YEAR TO MAKE SURE THERE ARE NO REPEATS.
2. Click on it.
3. Click on an article. If you're lucky, the thing is still there. Right click, go to 'View Source', and save it as a text file in the format YEAR_NUMBER_SHORTITLE. Don't bother editing out stuff like broken picture links; just save the thing wholesale.

(For example, the 62nd article in the 1991 archive entitled 'Keanu Reeves' big night' was saved as '1991_62_bignight'.)

4. Most likely, however, you'll get a page that says that it is not in archive. This happens about 80% of the time.
5. Go to the top of the link and copy the original CK link, which should look something like "www.club-keanu.com/webdocs/1996/tvw9611.htm"
6. Copy that.
7. Go to Google. (other search engines don't work as well for this.) Paste the link into the search bar.
8. When a result appears, click on the link that says 'cached'. If you get an error page, that sucks. If the page happily loads, repeat step 3 and save the file and move on to the next one.
9. If you get no results, do a search for the title and the author's name. Sometimes the article is available on another site - like another Keanu fansite, or that of a co-star. I found lost CK articles on River Phoenix and Alex Winter fansites. They rock.
10. If you still don't find anything, cry. The article is probably lost for good unless people saved it.
11. Move on to the next one.

When you're done, send all the textfiles to me in a zip file to starwarsisnotdead@gmail.com.

I might be hosting them on WINM for a while until the CK webmasters have the time to upload them back on CK.

--

This can be kind of time consuming, though; so we could split up some of the years and spread out the job.
Fiercelyred2008-09-18 01:44:52

Forum Posts: 125
Comments: 2
Reviews: 0
Anakin, I just sent you an example of what it is I have. I could just kick myself for not saving the pics on a usb-stick but then again I did take the time to save the articles. Which means that at least the text off everything CK had is saved.

Edit: it's probably easier if I just mail you everything, and you can see for yourself the what and how. Will do so now.
LucaM
2008-09-18 03:03:44

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13
Ani... unfortunately , when my PC crashed this summer, I lost all my somehow-organized archives and file indexes... HAD some backup, but that was made before the proper archiving and now I just have a mess of about 160 articles , from various years... AND in html format.

RL will keep me busy in the next few months, and don't know if I'll sort them out soon.

BUT, if you want, I could send them to you... and you'll see what you can do.
not all of them are from ck, some are from kweb or other sources...

sorry I can't help with the 'hunt for articles'... right now I'm on a tight schedule.

Anakin McFly
2008-09-18 09:20:52

ADMIN

Both of you - THANK YOU.

Yes, that's exactly what I wanted.

And you've got the missing ones! \o/
LucaM
2008-09-18 15:10:23

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13
glad I could help.

EvaGa2008-09-18 21:19:44

Forum Posts: 2
Comments: 0
hi, I saw your message on CK and I have some time to help...
which years are not saved for the moment?? just tell me what's left I'll do it this evening (european time)

Anakin McFly
2008-09-18 21:25:36

ADMIN

Hi!

I've already got most of the articles from Fiercelyred and LucaM, so you don't need to save any more; I'm just working on the formatting now.

How familiar are you with html?
EvaGa2008-09-18 21:45:28

Forum Posts: 2
Comments: 0
oh ok good think for the saving part

html......what if I say zero notion?? sorry about that.......but I'm used to program so if you think it's easy I can learn
Fiercelyred2008-09-19 02:06:20

Forum Posts: 125
Comments: 2
Glad I could help! I must say though, that there's a sweet irony to this for me. I was ousted as a member from CK, shortly after joining it and before I even posted there once, after writing on imdb that I liked and missed Keanuweb. Chicks twice responded to my mail by replying that there was nothing wrong with my account, which was simply not true. Only after contacting a different moderator on a different subject (and not mentioning any of this) my account was activated again. True story. I then copied all their articles, just to be sure.

Anyway, any Keanu fan deserves to be able to read what has been written about him, hence my cooperation. Anakin, I hope you can retrace some of the pics as well; the article look so lonely without them.

Fiercelyred, wondering what will happen with her CK-account now.

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.