CK is back up
Anakin McFly
2008-09-12 21:57:34

ADMIN

Forum Posts: 3074
Comments: 405
Reviews: 1
but it's empty.

Am kind of traumatised. They're starting all over again; registrations, everything. The gallery is empty, and their article archive - which I think was the most complete in fandom by a long way - is empty too, and EVERYTHING IS GONE.

...Until they get back up, there's just keanu-reeves.net, keanuconnection.com and, well, WINM.

SonjaRostov2008-09-13 23:20:37

Forum Posts: 31
Comments: 0
Reviews: 0
I can't help thinking that maybe this could be the new site-of-record, the one that has everything--and doesn't disappear on a whim. It's not that I object to CK's owner deciding what she did. It's that members could have been given notice, copying content rather than assuming it would be there tomorrow.

Or does that level of information, images, etc. involve so much server space we have to think money?

Sonja
LeishaCamden2008-09-14 02:46:12

Forum Posts: 35

It's not that I object to CK's owner deciding what she did.
What did she decide?

That's an honest question, I'm really confused. When I checked it yesterday, it was up ... and then when I tried again today it was gone, with the same error message as before.

I don't think I'm internet savvy enough to understand what's going on ...
Personality_Disorder2008-09-14 04:22:14

Forum Posts: 52

(SonjaRostov @ Sep 13 2008, 11:20 PM)
I can't help thinking that maybe this could be the new site-of-record, the one that has everything--and doesn't disappear on a whim. It's not that I object to CK's owner deciding what she did. It's that members could have been given notice, copying content rather than assuming it would be there tomorrow.

Or does that level of information, images, etc. involve so much server space we have to think money?

Sonja

I'm confused too. The site crashed. It's not like the crash was planned.
Anakin McFly
2008-09-14 08:19:37

ADMIN

I can't help thinking that maybe this could be the new site-of-record, the one that has everything--and doesn't disappear on a whim.
That would be great, except:

1) Lack of money for extra bandwidth and space

2) Lack of contacts. Chicks was in regular e-mail contact with Erwin Stoff, had access to the latest news and photos, and all that

Although if you're all willing to chip in, this could go somewhere.

I promise no disappearances on a whim. This site has backups in four places because I'm paranoid that way. Not all are updated though.
ckage
2008-09-14 17:20:12

Forum Posts: 474
Comments: 6

(Leisha Camden @ Sep 14 2008, 02:46 AM)

It's not that I object to CK's owner deciding what she did.
What did she decide?

That's an honest question, I'm really confused. When I checked it yesterday, it was up ... and then when I tried again today it was gone, with the same error message as before.

I don't think I'm internet savvy enough to understand what's going on ...

I'm pretty sure the last CK down time was due to technical difficulties; not the owner deciding anything.

Sometimes stuff simply breaks. Even on the internet.

SonjaRostov2008-09-14 21:14:49

Forum Posts: 31
All I meant by "what she decided" was that she had apparently decided not to spend the money, time, and effort to have everything on the site backed up. That's pretty basic, and also a pretty major pain in the ass.

All websites can crash, and unless you're perfectly all right with rebuilding from scratch, a website owner should have backups in multiple physical locations and in at least one cyber location hosted on a different server. Back-ups should be updated on a schedule, so the site owner simply cannot lose more than X amount of input and new material.

The harder it is to replace all your content, the more important multiple back-ups becomes.

Sonja, whose family includes one website owner
Fiercelyred2008-09-16 01:26:14

Forum Posts: 125
Comments: 2
I copied and pasted all articles into gmail docwebs a couple of months ago; after Keanuweb disappearing I didn't want to take any chances. What I failed to realize, was that I should've saved the pics in a different manner. So now I have the articles, but not the pics that went with them. Anyway, I expect CK to put them up again, right? If not, if anyone wants what little I saved, let me know, I could mail it to you.
Anakin McFly
2008-09-16 10:12:10

ADMIN

Articles! Give!
LeishaCamden2008-09-17 03:18:14

Forum Posts: 35
OK, now I understand what's been happening. Thanks for explaining.

I cannot believe that she didn't have backups.
LucaM
2008-09-17 04:55:55

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13
I have some articles too, saved in webpage format ( mostly, but also as word files ) , mainly from kweb and from ck's archives...

Ani, if you want to put up an 'article archives' section, I could mail you all these files.
the 'credit' for them goes first of all to the authors, then to kweb and ck. I'm just a 'collector'

Anakin McFly
2008-09-17 10:19:33

ADMIN

Will be collecting articles.

E-mail everything to me!
LucaM
2008-09-17 14:38:58

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13
will do, this evening ( in my time zone, anyway. )

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.