Dracula - whole movie
Anakin McFly
2008-09-03 21:28:07

ADMIN

Forum Posts: 3074
Comments: 405
Reviews: 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdmWc3-iXLw

Link is to Part 1; other parts are available from there.

Watching it now.

EDIT: It's not Keanu's accent that's weird; it's the way he talks that's really strange. The accent is fine.

...Though his voice sounds decidedly not-Keanu, which is interesting in its own way.

EDIT 2: I actually like the accent. It's not exactly British though, but it sounds good... sort of accentless. Vaguely Singaporean.
Personality_Disorder2008-09-03 23:27:25

Forum Posts: 52
Comments: 0
Reviews: 0

(Anakin McFly @ Sep 3 2008, 09:28 PM)

It's not Keanu's accent that's weird;

...Though his voice sounds decidedly not-Keanu,

When he's reading the letter he's writing (or reading? Haven't seen the movie in ages) out loud, but they don't show his face on screen, you flat out don't know it's Keanu.

At all.

Which is why the bashers are so bloody infuriating at times.

Edited: Although I can't back him too much in this movie cause he still wasn't particularly good overall, but then I am one of the people who thinks everyone sucked in it.
Anakin McFly
2008-09-03 23:31:11

ADMIN

Forum Posts: 3074
Comments: 405
Reviews: 1

When he's reading the letter he's writing (or reading? Haven't seen the movie in ages) out loud, but they don't show his face on screen, you flat out don't know it's Keanu.

At all.
Yeah. That. He doesn't sound at all like himself.

My sort of running commenary on Parts 1 through 5: http://anivad.livejournal.com/421336.html
LucaM
2008-09-04 00:58:11

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13

Although I can't back him too much in this movie cause he still wasn't particularly good overall, but then I am one of the people who thinks everyone sucked in it.รก
exactly...
and Coppola somehow managed one of the lousiest screen adaptations of a novel ever.... ok, Apocalypse Now was a masterpiece. but that was back then
.. I mean, I 'get' what he tried to do with Stoker's novel, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. for a while, I thought it's my problem ... then, 15 years later I saw what he did with Eliade's "Youth Without Youth" .... and I realized Coppola's creative days ended a looong time ago. probably with Cotton Club.... or even earlier. Now he's just getting senile. seriously...

as for Coppola's 'Dracula'... EVERYBODY's acting cartoonish in it !! I mean.... for me, it took 'The Remains of the Day ' and "Meet Joe Black" to forgive Anthony Hopkins ! It's as if Coppola tried to make a Tarantino movie and totally blew it ! and in all this horror-fantasy-mascarade, Keanu plays such a victorian aspiring young lawyer, completely mirroring Stoker's Jonathan Harker... without realizing, poor soul, that he's playing the right character in the wrong movie !!!
wtf was Coppola doing , anyway ? where was he ?

there's nothing wrong with K's Jonathan Harker... except for the fact that he's totally out of context... just didn't 'fit in'...

and please, don't get me started on the accents...
except for the priests at Johanthan and Mina's wedding ( who, according to some trivia I read once, were genuine Romanian priests) and the voice of one of the vampire girls ... all the other attempts at speaking Romanian were simply hilarious...
... sorry, Mr. Oldman. by comparison, my English accent is lousy, too. but I'm not an actress... never will be one...
Personality_Disorder2008-09-04 02:49:19

I didn't even realize this is in IMDB's featured poll of the day, lol
Personality_Disorder2008-09-04 12:40:29

It's as if Coppola tried to make a Tarantino movie and totally blew it ! 

Yeah. I haven't read Stoker's novel, but that definitely didn't look right.

I wish I knew Romanian because it must have been interesting to listen to English speakers butcher it. Then the whole sucky-British-accent thing wouldn't be at the forefront!
keanugirl762008-09-04 14:26:25

Forum Posts: 268

except for the priests at Johanthan and Mina's wedding ( who, according to some trivia I read once, were genuine Romanian priests) and the voice of one of the vampire girls ... all the other attempts at speaking Romanian were simply hilarious...
... sorry, Mr. Oldman. by comparison, my English accent is lousy, too. but I'm not an actress... never will be one...
They should cast real local actors to play foreign people, not English-native speakers pretending local accents.

I don't know how Romanian works, but I remember Nicholas Cage in the role of Captain Corelli. His Italian accent was awful

LucaM
2008-09-04 15:42:17

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13

Yeah. I haven't read Stoker's novel, but that definitely didn't look right.

well, if you read the book, you'll realize just how wrong the adaptation went...
I mean... I know it's difficult to adapt a novel for the screen. I know one can't literally turn each chapter into a scene... but where Apocalypse Now did great, Dracula and "Youth Without Youth" totally failed... Coppola has a penchant for the "love conquers all" , "eternal love" themes and he sees them ever where the writers did not intend them in the first place...

Bram Stoker's Dracula is the story of count Dracula... an attempt to explain the vampire character in the victorian era... Coppola's movie brough nothing of this onscreen.
and in Youth Without Youth... Coppola failed to see and capture the very essence of the story. it's NOT the love story. it's the quest for knowledge... for going at the very origins of language, of creation...

and if one wants to hear bad accents.... in ALL possible languages... please watch Youth Without Youth.

sorry, but I incline to say that the accents problem in Coppola's movies .... are his fault.

They should cast real local actors to play foreign people, not English-native speakers pretending local accents.

well, that can't be always done, because sometimes you need your main character to speak a foreign language... but in some cases the accent is not a problem, while in other cases those few lines can just be dubbed... and few will notice.

in Yout Without Youth.... it's worse. almost all characters speak English, although the narrative takes place in Romania, Italy, etc... AND the only native English speaking actor is Tim Roth. all the others struggle with the English accent.... with the funniest results....
eh.. whatever.
Coppola's quirks

keanugirl762008-09-06 14:31:58

Forum Posts: 268

well, that can't be always done, because sometimes you need your main character to speak a foreign language... but in some cases the accent is not a problem, while in other cases those few lines can just be dubbed... and few will notice.
Yes, I realize it, but casting more foreign people when a foreign role is required would make a movie more reliable, and it would be a big chance for some good worldwide actors. I remember, for instance, the great Nosferatu played by Klaus Kinski.

Concerning Coppola's adaptation, of course it was not what the readers expected. There's one scene in particular I was scared by when I read the book, that is when Mina is at the window and sees the fog - hiding the vampire - coming closer and closer to the house. The she goes to sleep, but she is really disturbed, so she opens her eyes and sees the fog into the room. Then she looks at the flame in the glass lamp, and the flame divides into two parts, the vampire's eyes.

This is a scene that is really well described in the book, and what Coppla did? He used some green gas passing into into the keyhole!

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.