WINM Forums :: The Library :: Articles (possibly?) not in the archive

Articles (possibly?) not in the archive
inkhuldra
2010-01-20 01:23

Forum Posts: 1364
Comments: 153
Reviews: 0
I thought I'd start a new general thread for posting links to articles that may not be in the archive. Sort of like the "bits and snippets" thread, only this new one is for whole articles/interviews.

Starting with these ones:

SPEED DATING
Jun 19 2006 By Siobhan Synnot
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/2006/06/19/speed-dating-86908-17252743/

Movie Q&A with Keanu Reeves
Dec 12 2008
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/showbiz/celebrity-interviews/2008/12/12/movie-q-a-with-keanu-reeves-86908-20964260/

Movie Q&A: Keanu Reeves
Apr 18 2008
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/showbiz/celebrity-interviews/2008/04/18/movie-q-a-keanu-reeves-86908-20386446/

And finally one which really belongs in the "bits and snippets" thread, but I'm too lazy to go there. So I add it here instead:

DVDs Out Tomorrow
Sep 14 2008 Mickey Mcmonagle, Sunday Mail
Mailmusic Reviews

STREET KINGS (15) *****

Training Day was one of the best cop movies of recent years, so writer David Ayer was probably burdened with too heavy a weight of expectation for this latest one.

Keanu Reeves is Tom Ludlow, a boozy, corrupt officer operating outside the law under the direction of his boss (Forest Whitaker) who just wants good stats for his vice department.

When something needs done outside the law, Ludlow is sent in. Crimes are staged and evidence planted to implicate the victims of the department's stings. Eventually, when one of many cover-ups leads to the murder of his partner, Ludlow comes to his senses and tries to go about setting things straight.

This film didn't do much at the box office but should find a substantial audience on DVD. It's a steady corruption thriller with good performances from a strong cast.
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/life/reviews/dvd-and-blu-ray/2008/09/14/dvds-out-tomorrow-86908-20736811/

Anakin McFly
2010-01-20 12:54

ADMIN

Forum Posts: 3074
Comments: 405
Reviews: 1
Thanks! Uploaded the first one because it had some new content, but the others have stuff that other articles already have.
inkhuldra
2010-02-24 04:42

Here's something I thought might, for the interest of Kestorians, be added to the archive:

Driving under the influence (1988)

MALIBU, CALIFORNIA - On April 11, 1988, Keanu was stopped by Officer J.A. Nielsen of the California Highway Patrol and cited for three infractions of the California Vehicle Code.

On September 9 of the same year, Reeves made an appearance in court to answer the charges at which time the counts of Driving under the Influence of Alcohol and Failure to Produce Proof of Insurance were "dismissed in the interests of justice".

Source unknown.

inkhuldra
2010-02-24 04:47

Another one:

Keanu arrested (1993)

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA - According to several reports, Keanu was pulled over in the night of May 5th 1993 for driving "erratically". He was arrested by the police of Los Angeles with the charge of drunk driving.

After Keanu confessed he was released.

According to published sources, it was this mug shot that supposedly "straightened out" the young star. It is said that, upon seeing his photo, Keanu was reminded of his own father, Samuel Reeves, who is currently serving a ten-year prison sentence on drug charges.

Source unknown.

Both this and the previous blurb were originally at KeanuWeb, btw.

inkhuldra
2010-02-24 04:52

Keanu on plastic money (1997)

AMSTERDAM (April, 1997) - Phone cards are popular collectors items in Europe. The Dutch phone company PTT Telecom brought phone cards on the market with pictures of movie stars. Among them Keanu Reeves!

The cards are designed by Roelof Mulder. The graphic images are like in many collections incomplete. There are holes in the images. By laying the cards on top of each other the whole picture becomes complete.

One series consists of three cards with a value of 5, 10 and 25 Dutch Guilders. For collectors there is a special little map with the three cards. The 5 Guilders card is only available in the map.

Source: De Telegraaf-i-Mail - Movie stars on phonecards (In Dutch). Translator unknown.

inkhuldra
2010-02-24 04:56

Devil's Deal (1998)

After the initial release of "Devil's Advocate", sculptor Frederick Hart sued Warner Bros. claiming that a large white sculpture prominently featured in the film (on the wall of Al Pacino's penthouse apartment) is an unauthorized copy of his work "Ex Nihilo", displayed at the entrance of Washington's Episcopal National Cathedral. This bas-relief depicts the creation of mankind from chaos as told in the book of Genesis. The work features male and female nudes in various poses. In "Devil's Advocate", an image of the sculpture comes to life and writhes erotically in the apartment of the devil.

Both Hart and the cathedral claimed confusion about the work and the sculpture in the film had damaged both their reputations. Hart also is known for the "Three Soldiers" bronze statue at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.

Warner Bros. conceded that the artist who designed the sculpture in the movie had reviewed several works of art, including "Ex Nihilo". However, the studio claimed it had the right to use that image under the protection of the First Amendment.

U.S. district court Judge T.S. Ellis III partially agreed with that argument. "The First Amendment can't be relied upon to license the infringement to violate copyright laws," Ellis said.

According to the court settlement reached in February of 1998, Warner has been authorized to release an initial run of 475,000 copies of the video of the film for rental, but will have to remove or re-edit over 20 minutes of scenes where the sculpture can be seen before releasing any further video or television versions.

In the settlement, Warner Bros. insisted it had not used Hart's work but would agree "to make changes to certain portions of the film to eliminate any perceived confusion in future distribution of the movie".

In the version released for USA premium cable channels (premiered September 19, 1998 on HBO) as well as later releases on home video, the following changes were made in response to the lawsuit regarding the large white statue in Milton's office: in all the early scenes in his office, the statue has been changed. It looks much like the original with one major difference - there are no people in it. Instead, it's just an abstract swoosh of white waves. This was digitally inserted by Warner's effects department. The overlay is completely seamless, even following the random camera motions around the office. Later at the climax, when Lomax first arrives at Milton's office for the showdown and we hear Milton's voice bouncing around the office, the statue starts swirling to life. It comes to a rest in the form seen in the original version of the movie, with all the human forms in it, as Milton makes his appearance. From that point on, the scene remains the same as in the original.

Source: "Artist, cathedral and Warner Bros. settle dispute over sculpture" - The Freedom Forum Online. February 16, 1998.

inkhuldra
2010-02-24 06:51

Here's a Saturday Night Live transcript from season 17, episode 4, "Young Actors Forum" hosted by (the real?) Christian Slater. I never saw it so I don't know anything except that I just found this transcript and thought it was kinda funny:

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/91/91dyoung.phtml

I found it because I googled "keanu" and "charlie sheen", searching for an old interview with CS where he talked about how he and his brother Emilio couldn't understand how Keanu got any work. Didn't find that one, alas. CS is all over the tabloid news these days because of being committed to treatment for alcohol/drugs abuse. Funny how Keanu's a long-time A-lister while CS is -- shall we say, not quite at that level...?

Anakin McFly
2010-02-24 12:38

ADMIN

Forum Posts: 3074
Comments: 405
Reviews: 1
Thanks!

Added the plastic money one; I have alternate versions of the Devil's Advocate article and the 1993 speeding arrest.

What's the date on the 1988 article? Looks like it was written after 1988, because it's reporting it as in the past...

inkhuldra
2010-02-24 15:16

No date on the 1988 one. I wonder if it was simply written as a commentary on KeanuWeb. What's interesting about the two different traffic incidents is that, as far as I can recall, Keanu had his driver's licence revoked for two years, and when he got it back (1995-96?) he bought the Porsche -- his first car since the trusty old Volvo that brought him to California. He said in interviews that the Porsche was the closest thing he could find to a motorcycle that wasn't a motorcycle. Guess he hoped it would make him slow down and at least not get so many speeding tickets. As for DUI'ing, I hope that age and amassed wisdom has taught him the advantages of not drinking before driving. :-)
inkhuldra
2010-03-21 00:03

Now that the Toyota Pro/Celebrity Race is right around the corner, I thought I'd post some related articles:

Last year's win for Keanu: http://www.toyotaracing.com/motorsports/pro_celeb/news/2009/04-19-09-01.html

About this year's race, where Keanu will compete against the pros: http://www.toyotaracing.com/motorsports/pro_celeb/news/2010/03-11-10-01.html

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.