WINM Forums :: The Films of Keanu Reeves :: Tai-Chi Tiger

1 2 [3] 4 5

Tai-Chi Tiger
ARYA
2011-10-04 00:57

Forum Posts: 2836
Comments: 74
Reviews: 11

I have heard that some asians & native americans have excess ear wax and in the cultures is this process of candling. Often done by mother's to children and is a form of gentle affection and hygiene.

@koala that vid was fun to watch. Thanks.

maria89
2011-10-04 01:14

Forum Posts: 36
Comments: 0
Reviews: 0
@koala
what is that thing he uses to clean the ear?
SaneSun
2011-10-04 19:14

Forum Posts: 202
Comments: 28
@koala
When I put a text from tieba.baidu.com in Google translator, it translated these characters into 'Keanu'

基努

Then I wondered what each character meant. Google came up with 'base' or 'foundation' for the first, and 'efforts' and 'strive' for the second character. Is this right? Because if it is, Keanu has an even cooler name then I already thought ;-)

ARYA
2011-10-05 00:21

Forum Posts: 2836
Comments: 74
Reviews: 11
I can see the symmetry in those translations SaneSun. Thanks!
koala2011-10-05 17:38

Forum Posts: 27
@maria
They are soft metal sticks with cotton heads.

@SaneSun
The official Chinese translation for Keanu Reeves is 基努·里维斯( pronounced as ji-nu·li-wei-si). This is a translation by choosing Chinese characters that have similar pronunciation to the English name. All foreign names are translated this way in the media.

基 means foundation, and 努 means efforts.

koala2011-10-05 17:40

Sorry. This forum does not support Chinese characters.
inkhuldra
2011-10-06 01:14

Forum Posts: 1364
Comments: 153
Koala, doesn't the Chinese alphabet have characters that are closer to Kee-aa-nu Reevs? Jinu Liweisi is pretty far from Keanu Reeves. :-D
koala2011-10-06 18:16

@ink

Sometimes English alphabet does not have its exact match in Chinese. For example, there is no Chinese character pronounce as "ki" (Ke). The closest we can find is "ji". "ve" does not exist in Chinese as well.

Sometimes, as you pointed out, the translation does not use the closer even though there are closer ones. This is for good or not so good reasons. A good translation deliberately twist it a bit to make the translated name mean better, look better or sound better. A mistranslation might be due to mispronunciation of the original language. For example, the "a" in Keanu is totally missing. On the contrary, Djokovic the tennis star in china is called "Yong De" by his fans because the "D" in his name appears in the translation as "De".

How the name is translated when a foreigner becomes popular is very important because the translation, the best or not, will be widespread and commonly accepted.

SaneSun
2011-10-07 17:16

Thanks Koala, I find this really interesting. Apparently in the beginning of his fame in China people called him Keenu Reeves (as some still do)

Keanu Reeves is written phonetically in Greek alphabet too.

κιανου ριβσ

edit: no greek type either...

maria89
2011-10-07 17:51

Keanu Reeves is written phonetically in Greek alphabet too

what do u mean?

SaneSun
2011-10-07 19:27

This forum doesn't support the Greek characters either, but in Greek you spell his name: Kappa, iota, alpha, nu, omicron, upsilon, rho, iota, phi, sigma, which says kianou rivs, and sounds just like Keanu Reeves.

http://www.google.nl/#pq=keanu+reeves+greek+alphabet&hl=nl&cp=5&gs_id=51&xhr=t&q=%CE%BA%CE%B9%CE%B1%CE%BD%CE%BF%CF%85+%CF%81%CE%B9%CE%B2%CF%83&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&source=hp&pbx=1&oq=%CE%9A%CE%B9%CE%B1%CE%BD%CE%BF&aq=0L&aqi=g-L1g-sL2g-L1&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&fp=1&biw=1009&bih=703&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&cad=b

@maria89 You're from Cyprus, aren't you, so correct me if I'm wrong.

maria89
2011-10-07 19:55

@SaneSun

you're right...

but the letter you refer as phi, is actually the second letter in the alphabet (B). the name is beta and is pronounce as the english v.

SaneSun
2011-10-08 01:05

You are absolutely right. It has been over 20 years since I had Greek lessons in highschool... God, that makes me sound old :D
koala2011-10-08 07:00

@SaneSun

I clicked on the link and found out "maps" and "shopping" in Greek are exactly the same as English?

If you are not from Greece, where are you from?

@Maria

but the letter you refer as phi, is actually the second letter in the alphabet (B). the name is beta and is pronounce as the english v.

Do you mean beta is pronounced as "v"?

maria89
2011-10-08 16:00

@koala
yes. the Greek beta is pronounced as v. we call it vita.

i don't think SaneSun is from Greece. if you noticed the Google page SaneSun used is not .com or .gr(the one we use in Greece), its .nl(the use it in Netherlands). so I'm guessing SaneSun is from the Netherlands.

maps and shopping are not the same in Greek as in English. this is the Greek Google page

http://www.google.gr/

SaneSun
2011-10-08 20:57

@maria and koala
Well spotted: The Netherlands it is.
koala2011-10-10 19:04

This is an international forum indeed.
inkhuldra
2011-10-11 00:41

Forum Posts: 1364
Comments: 153
Here's a Greek MSN webpage with some then-and-now pics of Our Man, and his name written in Greek:

http://entertainment.gr.msn.com/specials/gallery.aspx?cp-documentid=154190428&page=11

There's also a Keanu page on the Greek version of Wikipedia, but I can't link to it here as the URL has Greek letters in it.

maria89
2011-10-11 01:14

omg! that page's title is "before they become movie stars" and continues by saying that keanu was ashamed by his look and he was hiding his face with his long hair. it also says that he wasn't so stylish.

is that even true?

(well, Greeks are known for overreacting.. Especially in gossip..)

LucaM
2011-10-12 02:27

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13
http://www.todayonline.com/Entertainment/Movies/EDC111011-0000515/Keanu-Reeves-to-choose-his-Asian-co-star

Keanu Reeves to choose his Asian co-star
08:18 PM Oct 11, 2011
BEIJING - Keanu Reeves is set to film Man Of Tai Chi next year, but first he has to select his co-star, reports Apple Daily.

Chinese actresses Zhang Ziyi, Gong Li and Zhou Xun are all in the running to be the lead actress of the movie, which is Reeves' directorial debut.

According to Apple Daily, it appears that Ziyi has the edge, as Reeves has previously mentioned that he was attracted to her performance in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Her command of the English language also gives her an advantage over Zhou Xun.

As the movie is about tai chi, and Zhang Ziyi's previous experience gives her a leg up over Gong Li.

The movie will feature Reeves as the villain of the film. The film is set to feature both Mandarin and English being spoken.

Reeves is set to fly to Beijing next month to prepare for the film.
AGENCIES

1 2 [3] 4 5

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.