WINM Forums :: The Library :: Letter to Keanu

Letter to Keanu
daniela262011-03-29 19:40

Forum Posts: 2
Comments: 0
Reviews: 0
This is what I found on www.keanumania.com

I know you are probably "rival" sites but I liked the initiative so I would like to share it with you.

I will copy paste only the English text, on their site it is a Spanish version too.

Even if you are thinking it's just a weird letter, you will see it is not so:

"One of our members thought about a plan that we, all Keanu Reeves fans, can carry into effect.

She wrote a letter for Keanu, a letter from all his fans. Through this letter we want to show our gratitude for all he represent as an actor and as a human being. We know there are fan groups all over the world, websites dedicated to him that post photos, news and articles. We know that we pray for him everytime we see a a photo in which he seams a little bit tired or sad. Let’s say it at loud. We want him to know that we exist, that we understand his joys and sadness, that we don’t see him only like a beautiful and talented actor, but as a remarkable human being too.

You will understand better our goal by reading the letter.

What we want to ask you is to distribute this letter all over the internet, all over the world. That’s why we translated it in English and Spanish too. Are you German/ French/ Italian etc and you like the letter? Translate it and post it on the internet. Our only wish is to mention the source where you find it ( www.keanumania.com). See this as a domino game.

So, are you willing to enter this plan or not?"

LETTER TO KEANU

You have never felt the tinted windows so sheer, the eyes so lowered and the headache so intense. You start wondering how long do you have to the hotel. Finally, you get there. The streets almost deserted, ringing in the distance and some lost fans. All you want to do is to pass by them or to shout you are just a normal human being. Not one as they think you are, but a normal, ordinary man, with both joys and sorrows.

In a split second you remember. So you try to banish the fatigue, you get off your glasses and you start smiling. Once you do that, their faces are strangely brightening. So you choose to stay, to endure the annoying flashes, to give autographs and to answer all their questions. You see their glow in the eyes, their youth or enthusiasm and you start cheering up. Once again you do not understand why. Why you. When the tiredness is coming back, you gently apologize and disappear behind the sliding doors of the hotel.

All you need right now is a salvation. You have worked all day long, giving life to a different character whose parts are still in you.You have talked to so many people trying to make sure everything will be ok this time too. But now, when this stubborn elevator does not want to go down, you feel like you could slam on this fancy lobby and ask for your ration of sleep. This thought steals you a smile. When the elevator is finally there, you get in, lean against a wall and start answering the last questions of the day. You cannot think about something else but of your seconds of tranquility. That’s all.

Suddenly you hear the noise of the door closing behind you. Finally alone. You close your eyes and listen to the silence. You make some steps up to the bed, leave the heavy coat and then step on the tiny balcony of your apartment. That cold air, the overwhelming darkness have never been more gentle than tonight. Different houses, different people on a different corner of the world. You do not remember its name. It doesn’t really matter. Tonight you belong this place and it belongs to you.

From there, from the 11th floor of the hotel you are still hearing the directing tips and the voices of the teenagers that earlier snatched you an autograph together with a smile..

Yet, the sadness lurks around the corner. A hybrid sadness that never turns you to depression, but only to melancholy. Once in a while God reminds you are just a human being. A special, chosen one, but yet a human being. You feel like something is missing. You turn around. No one. For some seconds you think you would have wanted to find someone there, behind or next to you. You start seeing images from the past that was or from the present it could have been. You are again on the edge of your soul.

And just when you are about to surrender, in an involuntary, yet fated gesture, you put your hand in the pocket. There is something there. In the next second you hold in the palm a small icon of a secret saint and a message: “We love you, Keanu!”. The gift is from them…You look in the distance where your eyes cannot reach. You indulge yourself in the wind brought by your little gift. The cold air sets on your tiny, fine wrinkles, finding out their secrets. Then, it soothes each of them, saying good bye and promising to return.

You look again at that message..their message..of those who you do not know and maybe you will never do. For some unknown reasons you were chosen to give them inspiration, kindness or hope and they were chosen to turn their prayers to you. Once, in the past, maybe you were used to think people is overreacting or that they should have their own life.

Only when you return to your room and you let yourself fall on the bed, you realize you were wrong about the fans. You realize that from them you get your optimism and the strength to move on. You know you will get their gift and remember their words whenever you will feel again on the edge of your soul.

The balcony door closes and your eyelids surrender. You fall asleep with your thoughts scattered in so many places, but with so many thoughts directed toward you.

Donna_J
2011-03-30 02:53

Forum Posts: 264
Comments: 3
Forgive me my rudeness, but I think it's awful.Do you think he would be glad to get such letter? He would surely be annoyed!;(
LucaM
2011-03-30 03:14

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13
I wouldn't say 'awful', but... too romanticized. Maybe those could be his thoughts, but maybe not. We need to remember we don't know him. not really.
And we don't really know how he feels about his fans.

Me, I wrote my letters. Even mailed a few. Won't subscribe to this one 'cause it's not my style. ( my way of saying 'thank you' is buying the ticket and watching the movie then buying the DVD then SWATing all over the net about it :D)
but it's a free world and to each one's own.

AdriannaM.
2011-03-30 03:45

Forum Posts: 424
Comments: 24
Reviews: 1
I'm not sure what he would think, but I can't see him getting offended - just slightly creeped out, maybe a little annoyed :p

He's been around for a while, he's a well-read man and he's understanding. He's met some really crazy ass fans. He knows by now that we write things more for ourselves, our own fantasies because our souls are inflamed by him for any given reason. These things are not so much for him, but inspired of him, creative expression given life by his examples.

He's proud of most of the following that has emerged from his works and he appreciates our gratitude, I'm sure. But who knows? I'm presuming . . .

Anakin McFly
2011-03-30 04:00

ADMIN

Forum Posts: 3074
Comments: 405
Reviews: 1
Beautifully written, but yeah... it comes across as a bit invasive. As LucaM says, we don't know him or what he's thinking.

And we're not rivals with keanumania. Different language. XD

ARYA
2011-03-30 04:01

Forum Posts: 2836
Comments: 74
Reviews: 11
There's a lot of assumption in that letter and ya know what happens when you ASSUME...
daniela262011-03-30 04:53

Forum Posts: 2
Comments: 0
I don't think the letter is written by crazy fans or something like that:) I felt like they understand his tiredness or not wanting to seem a perfect man, this is what I liked about the letter.

But, of course, everyone has an opinion. I liked it...

inkhuldra
2011-03-30 05:06

Forum Posts: 1364
Comments: 153
If I was to write a letter to Keanu, it would be about how I'm grateful for his dedication to his craft and for providing us with a means of escaping reality for the duration of a movie. Also, I would thank him for being the reason why I've found websites such as WINM, with all its nice contributors. Fandom, to me, is at its best when it's shared with like-minded spirits in a community setting.

And then I'd ask him to please take extra good care of the little critters that dwell in his beard. I do feel very protective of those tiny, helpless things. (Maybe we should start a sub-PETA and picket the movie studios where Keanu works?)

TheTangerine
2011-03-30 06:01

Forum Posts: 385
Comments: 33
Reviews: 2
Nice... but the second POV would prolly creep him out. More like a fanfic than a letter, meh.

I agree with LucaM, haha.

And then I'd ask him to please take extra good care of the little critters that dwell in his beard. I do feel very protective of those tiny, helpless things. (Maybe we should start a sub-PETA and picket the movie studios where Keanu works?)

XD me too.

I'd thank him for changing my life with his performance in the Matrix movies. My grades shot from C's to A's after those movies. :) Long story...

nafsunaek
2011-03-30 07:18

Forum Posts: 491
Comments: 111
I like some of the feelings behind that letter - the understanding and the gratitude - but it also assumes many things we don't know. And as LucaM says, we really don't know the man, so ...
If I were him and received that letter, I really don't know how I'd feel. Annoyed that people see me as a sad man, with no life, no friends, no 'shelter'? Would I feel gratitude for those good feelings towards me? A mixture of both? Nothing?
I really don't know. But then, I'm not him. I haven't even met him and the chances that I ever will are pretty thin.
I don't think I would subscribe that letter, not because I think it's offensive or anything of the sort. It's just that it implies a certain intimacy which I don't share, which I can't share. Simply because I don't know.

Donna_J
2011-03-30 23:47

Forum Posts: 264
Comments: 3

but the second POV would prolly creep him out. More like a fanfic than a letter, meh.

Yeah, it's a fanfic (a very romantic one) :)

You know what I think? Sad Keanu was his OWN PR.Why did it spread so wide and could it be without someone's help from outside.May be it was done to get everybody to pay more attention to him.Don't know.But I still consider him an honest man and may be that is the reason he was embarrassed every time he was asked about Sad Keanu.All his endless "you know', "you know".I think he didn't like it but had to do it for some reasons (show business is a dark forest). Just my DEEEP imho, but I could't help thinking that this letter is ... bit like that boom with the mem.
P.S.sorry for my messy language and thoughts:)

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.