WINM Forums :: The Library :: Paste magazine : Keanu quotes from "Honoring Richard Linklater"

Paste magazine : Keanu quotes from "Honoring Richard Linklater"
inkhuldra
2011-10-19 05:09

Forum Posts: 1364
Comments: 153
Reviews: 0
This is a long article, so I only include the Ke-Kwotes. You can read the entire article here: http://mplayer.pastemagazine.com/issues/week-16/articles#article=/issues/week-16/articles/honoring-richard-linklater-a-slacker-turns-twenty

You should also check out the animated cover, which has a nice Keanuized version.

KEANU REEVES

ON SLACKER HAVING LITTLE SLACKERY:
Slacker is a funny film because the film Slacker is not a slacker; it’s not very slackerish at all. When you think about it from a production standpoint or a performance standpoint, they’re on their game. It’s a well-made film, a well-crafted film. Not a lot of slackery going on in that film.

ON LINKLATER’S PERSONALITY:
He’s a fucking asshole. No, that was a cheap shot. He’s awesome. You know, he’s fiercely intelligent. And he’s collaborative but willful, which I think is a good combination. He’s got an opinion, but he wants to hear yours. Or at least he pretends to; he’s a great actor. He’s very creative, and he’s got a compassion to him, an interest. He loves you and he hates you, and as an actor he’ll tell you what he wants, but he’s also very, “Let’s see what’s going to happen here.” He has a real enthusiasm, a real interest. He’s great.

ON IMPROVISATION AND FORMALISM:
Robert [Downey Jr.] and Woody [Harrelson] and I came out, and all in all I think we had about two weeks of rehearsals. Richard would incorporate riffs that people were doing into the script, so there wasn’t a lot of dialogue improvisation on set, which is cool. That gave it a formality that I think Philip K. Dick would have appreciated. Because it felt organic to the material itself. There’s a feeling both of improvisation and of formalism to his writing, and to his camera, which is entertaining, but there’s also beauty there. There’s a beauty to the words in his scripts and in the performances he gets from his performers.

ON LINKLATER’S THEMES:
He has these themes—alienated people forming these happenstance families, you know? And there’s just a constant investigation of people’s thoughts and people’s feelings and how we bump up against each other. Which I relate to. Everyone’s broken, and everyone’s coming together. And also his social awareness, his big-picture awareness, dealing with social constructs about America, conspiracy, paranoia, and what the heck is going on?

ON LINKLATER AND PLACE:
He deals with place and cities and rooms in a cool way. There just seems to be this kind of metier with him, where he puts people in spaces and there’s some dialogue between the characters and where they are in space, whether in cities or in a room. There’s just a relationship there that is different from, say, Ron Howard’s. He has a sense of space as well, but with Richard maybe it’s darker or murkier. The word “boundary” comes up. People bounded and breaking out or people captured and trying to be free or people comfortable in a cell.

ON LEARNING TO APPRECIATE LINKLATER FILMS:
I think I’ve grown to appreciate Richard’s work more and more as the years have gone by. I think when I first saw Slacker, I didn’t know how to appreciate it as much as I do now. When I saw it, I wasn’t objective about it. There was something about it that was very close to my experience.

ARYA
2011-10-19 07:00

Forum Posts: 2836
Comments: 74
Reviews: 11
That was fun. Thanks Inkhuldra.
inkhuldra
2011-10-19 14:46

[wuote]ON LINKLATER’S PERSONALITY:

He’s a fucking asshole.[/quote]

Hahahahaha! Keanu said asshole. X-D

Seriously, I wish there was a vidclip somewhere of him swearing in an interview. Him swearing in a movie is just the character letting off steam, but hearing him (good-humouredly or otherwise) use swear words in an interview setting would be funny because he's always so polite and actually says "Oh my gosh!" in interviews.

On a related point, has anyone else noticed that he says "Y'know?" a lot?

Joke
2011-10-19 15:28

Forum Posts: 380
Comments: 1
Yes, I've noticed the Y'know-ing. BTW, Leonardo DiCaprio and Russell Crowe do it a lot as well.

Not in an interview, but still funny swearing (especially since he keeps apologizing) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYrzeRljX-E

nafsunaek
2011-10-20 03:02

Forum Posts: 491
Comments: 111
@inkhuldra
Thanks for the Ke-kwoted article!

@Joke
Thanks! That youtube video is really funny!

inkhuldra
2011-10-20 20:55

Ahahahaha! He's hilarious in that outtake.

Oh, and he said CONstantine. For some reason I always pronounce it ConstanTEEN.

Wait, no! No, I don't. I pronounce it somewhat like he does, but with less stress on CON. Actually, now that I think of it, I believe I put almost equal stress on all of it: con-stan-teen - but with an ever so slightly raised "con".

His way of saying "fuck" is pretty much the same as I say it. Then again, I often pronounce it with an exaggerated Norwegian accent: FØKK!

OK, I'm done. Now: tea.

ARYA
2011-10-23 12:34

Just for the record he does say the fuck word a lot during shooting. When he's not happy with a take or whatever. And once there was a short vid of him on an interview during the SK promo. The girl was asking him to handcuff her in a highly flirtatious manner. His response..."ARe you fucking kidding me?" I wish I had saved that clippie on my hard drive cuz its off of youtube now.
Chiara
2011-10-23 16:07

Forum Posts: 215
I`d love I could see his face expression while saying "Are you fucking kidding me?"Can you tell me sth about it,Arya?
ARYA
2011-10-23 23:03

Sure Chiara. It was during a SK interview and he was doing his sweet and professional responses to all the questions until that one interviewer came out of left field with a totally inappropriate (but understandable) request for him to cuff her. She was an attractive woman 20 something. He could see right away it was an attempt to throw him off his usual cool game so instead of getting flustered or trying to deflect the question he went totally out of character and said "Are you fucking kidding me?" or maybe "You must be fucking kidding me." I think he said it twice with a kind of smirk. Almost as an attempt to beat her at her own game by calling her on the joke. Ya know? She did not back down but it was only a very short bit and it looked to me that the interview was over after she put her hands out and asked for the cuffs. I will continue to look for the bit of vid on youtube. If anyone sees it please post!
Chiara
2011-10-24 03:56

Forum Posts: 215
Arya,I`m very grateful you took time to discribe what happend in that interview.I`m very intrigued now and am dying to see that vid.Just have to repeat your words:"if anyone sees it,please post"
Giladora
2011-10-24 06:39

Forum Posts: 165
Comments: 22
thanks Inkhuldra , and i loved this discussion :P
LucaM
2011-10-25 02:21

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13
more or less on topic, some tweets from one year ago ( inkhuldra might remember these)

SarahLaDuke
Keanu very polite during q and a with sirs and ma'ams. And called one lady crazy.
A woman in the audience asked him what he afraid of and he said "What are you, crazy? What am I not afraid of."
I know that's not as scandalous as I made it sound. Only 140 characters, you know...

inkhuldra
2011-10-25 17:24

I've been over at Club Keanu to look for the SK interview in question. So far no luck, but I stumbled upon another SK interview, and this one is so funny that you have got to see it. He's clearly in a good mood and gets along swimmingly with the female interviewer, who impresses him by having the long version of the Rush Rush video.

http://www.club-keanu.com/news/modules/webshow/singlelink.php?lid=92

(I think you have to be a CK member to access the webshow.)

ARYA
2011-10-26 06:27

thanks ink! I do love that interview. CK has a lot of vids for sale. I have a good bit of them and I really can't buy any more. I have seen everything on webshow and the vid in question is not there. Webshow has a regular member and VIP member section in case anyone was wondering.
@Luca, thanks for sharing that tweet. I don't remember seeing it before.

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.