WINM Forums :: The Library :: Do you believe printed interviews or articles?

Do you believe printed interviews or articles?
MmeRenard
2014-02-16 01:54

Forum Posts: 1101
Comments: 48
Reviews: 0
Having been snowed in for basically the last four months, I've been perusing the library and such quite a lot. Much wonderful stuff, a tremendous amount of hard work by the Archivists - thank you!

I have come to the conclusion that I really read printed interviews and articles with a truckload of salt (not just a grain of salt). There are some that just sound completely invented, some "news" or gossip that has since been proved massively false, as in "Bald Keanu is sick and family and friends are planning an intervention!"
Oh, right, it was for the pod scene in the Matrix. Oops. I guess that I missed the retractions! That must hurt...

And crap like "Johnny Depp disrespects Keanu..."? Please. There were a whole slew of people who then went "oh Johnny Depp just sucks." Come on. Depp hardly seems stupid and has made any number of very commercial films. I seriously doubt that he said any of that.

People make assumptions based on fabricated articles, faked interviews and leap to ridiculous conclusions. Don't get me wrong, the articles are fascinating, usually wonderful, but it's well worth noting ones that are complete horse manure.

Thoughts? Comments? Thanks for listening.

Anakin McFly
2014-02-16 15:47

ADMIN

Forum Posts: 3074
Comments: 405
Reviews: 1
Ahaha yes. I wouldn't say all printed articles, though. It depends very much on the source. Generally, if it's from a tabloid (particularly those from Europe where the press is bound by less strict laws than the US), chances are that they just made up stuff based on really flimsy bits of evidence, the more scandalous the better; whatever it takes to get people to buy them.

But if it's actual newspapers and respected magazines, then they can usually be trusted, especially when you know that Keanu actually did that interview with that newspaper or magazine.

I still love how a bunch of tabloids all gave different detailed accounts of Keanu's alleged gay marriage in a variety of locations. I sadly don't have most of those original sources, just the one that did a summary of that: http://www.whoaisnotme.net/articles/1996_02xx_car.htm

MmeRenard
2014-02-16 20:55

I mostly agree, but even some respected magazines have had articles where I'm almost sure that things Keanu said were taken out of context or rearranged in such a way as to sensationalize. A couple of Vanity Fair interviews come to mind. In the US, too, there's an increasing tendency for even supposedly respectable news media to pick up a "story" from tabloids and report it. For example, some things that Keanu apparently said around filming "The Gift" were pointedly rearranged and abstracted to make it sound like he was in some way condoning spousal abuse. I don't believe that for a second. He was very clear about that in filmed interviews. I think he was commenting on the dynamics of abusive relationships, which in itself is pretty risky because it invites misconstruing, but what he said was probably damned uncomfortable and also accurate. An actor's job is to investigate the human condition and have an understanding of his character, without judging. That's where we in the audience bring our opinions and worldviews.
Phew.
Anything that's claimed he's said or not said about his personal life, however, I tend to seriously doubt in print without precisely knowing the context. Enough said.
axie
2014-02-25 03:11

Forum Posts: 345
Comments: 10
Not to mention that even in interviews with KR, he himself applies whatever movie he is promoting to answer certain questions. For example, whenever he is working on a romantic/comedy or movie with romance as a theme we see comments like "wanting to get married and have kids" etc. Though for 25 years or so never pegged him as the marrying kind. ;) Why bother? One doesn't need all that to be devoted to someone and then there is no external drama [like lawyers] for dealing with a break up. Still it sells papers and ultimately the movie. IMHO
MmeRenard
2014-02-25 06:05

I think that, more than his volunteering comments about marriage / family, he is usually asked those questions. I have no sense at all that he uses thoughts about his own life to promote a film. He brings his personal experience to the role, of course, but not usually or even often to promotion.
axie
2014-02-26 02:48

Trust me MmeRenard, I'm not the only one who caught his riddling. ;)

Believe me they are briefed on what can and cannot be asked in legit interviews. Topics that are OK, topics that are *not* OK. That's just the business.

LucaM
2014-02-26 02:51

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13

caught his riddling.

... but isn't that part of the fun? ;)

MmeRenard
2014-02-26 03:28

I guess that I choose to believe that he is a nice person, and not so much more manipulative than, say, I am. Anyone can believe exactly what they please. If I say more, I could chide outright.
MmeRenard
2014-02-26 03:35

For that matter, trust and belief don't come very casually for me. And that's for a whole lot of very good and specific reasons, some of them pertaining directly to "fandom" which I have thankfully and because of Anakin's diligence NOT found at WINM.
axie
2014-02-26 04:15

.. but isn't that part of the fun? ;)

You know it is Luca!

MmeRenard, you must have me confused with someone else. I rather adore the man.

Please don't project anything onto me - I've never said anything against the man. *shrug*

axie
2014-02-26 04:20

Don't let my post count fool you into thinking I'm a newbie-troll out to bash the guy. Want to get *that* out of the way first and foremost. I've been around. I don't do fawning very well...so that may throw some folks. No little hearts and gushing from me - except very rarely like when he has bed-hair. Mmmm.. anyway, where was I, oh yeah...I am opinionated, will defend my personal opinions, will respect other views too. K?
MmeRenard
2014-02-26 04:28

Hey, Axie, I'm sorry. I am admittedly dotty about Keanu, giddy is not too strong a word! It's all good, and I am in complete and absolute agreement about the bed-hair! :-)
Anakin McFly
2014-02-26 11:59

ADMIN

Forum Posts: 3074
Comments: 405
Reviews: 1
You two are awesome. :D

I don't think Keanu lies, but that doesn't necessarily mean there's no manipulation involved either - he might just choose to share certain things when promoting certain films. But as has been said, a lot of it is also down to what questions interviewers ask.

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.