WINM Forums :: The Library :: New Article

New Article
Lizaird2014-03-22 05:06

Forum Posts: 70
Comments: 1
Reviews: 1
http://jam.canoe.ca/Movies/2014/03/20/21546531.html

New article featuring a focus on the Matrix and the impact it made on Hollywood. Nothing new in the article really, but some good vibes towards Keanu.

MmeRenard
2014-03-22 22:34

Forum Posts: 1101
Comments: 48
Reviews: 0
Not so sure that the last bit about Keanu's "duds" following the Matrix is all that warm and fuzzy. Any universe in which Constantine is seen as unsuccessful is not one I prefer to inhabit!
Lizaird2014-03-23 01:17

Point taken. I just wanted to show that somebody - critic wise is hoping for the best for Keanu's future. Not many do that, in fact many have written him off - critic wise.

I just don't want critics to see him as "only" a block buster actor. I don't think any one could re-produce the affect the matrix had. But they keep trying. Like it was easy. Explains a lot about cinema these days.

axie
2014-03-23 02:49

Forum Posts: 345
Comments: 10
It is a bizarre world. In my eyes, he's always been more indie actor than blockbuster "star"...

In my defense
I met the Anu *cough* almost 20 years ago *cough* [aging the Axie] prior to the Matrix and during a production break a few years later while filming the Matrix. Had no clue how huge it would become [who does while it is filming?] and was in the US when it hit the theaters - saw how Hollyweird would rip it off way back when... That's HW though and why so many mainstream movies are of no interest to me. It has dazzle, lacks story.

MmeRenard
2014-03-23 03:23

That's cool, Lizaird. Hollywood seems to get particularly enraged at people who have multiple creative talents and interests. Keanu's appearance and charisma make big Hollywood movies somewhat obvious, although I'm always delighted to see how much more he brings to those kinds of films. I was aware of Keanu before Speed, but he is so perfect and so interesting in that - I was hooked. Indie films, though, seem closer to his heart in many ways, and big movies help get small movies made. I'm just curious to see what he'll do next. I was SURE that I wouldn't like Constantine, and now it's one of my favorites.

Hey Axie, that's about when I first "met" him too, at a Dogstar concert, not too long after Speed came out, but people clearly didn't have any idea what was to come. He always has had an amazing quality that is about much more than charisma - Sandra Bullock has spoken quite a lot about this.

LucaM
2014-03-23 05:29

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13

It has dazzle, lacks story.

... lacks story?
*sigh*
sheila, you just made me sad :|

Lizaird2014-03-23 09:09

Not to worry I am on the side of "content" "story" based movies. I live in a very conservative city and films that are even close to art aren't shown here. Blockbusters will be shown in ten theaters. You would think that a smaller indie film could be in one of them. But I keep hunting. it gets hard though because most times I just have to wait for dvd or digital.

As far as Keanu goes, I have always held the belief that he gets bored easily especially with very superficial stuff. So I always look forward to his films because I find them interesting. I so loved 47 Ronin. I am looking forward to April for the DVD release. I am hoping for maybe a directors cut.

axie
2014-03-24 05:23

sheila, you just made me sad :|

Much of Hollywood's big studio stuff has been rubbish. Wasn't clear. Lots of CGI but too often lacking in story. Nothing specific, generalities. Independents do much better on story. CGI is expensive! ;)

LucaM
2014-03-24 05:31

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13
oh, sorry, thought you were referring to the Matrix movies and got into defensive mode :D

True, many of the 'blockbusters' lack substance. It distracts from chewing popcorn ;) I remember watching Cloud Atlas in the theater and 20 minutes into the movie, everyone stopped chewing or drinking or checking their phones because they *had* to pay attention to the story ;) But then, Cloud Atlas was not exactly Hwood blockbuster ;)

axie
2014-03-24 05:59

Love Cloud Atlas, so much. Both the book and the movie. :D
And the Herculean effort put in to get the movie made!
MmeRenard
2014-03-24 08:24

See, I'm just happy around people who can use "Herculean" correctly. Thank you, Axie!
axie
2014-03-25 06:54

*takes a bow* No, worries.

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.