WINM Forums :: The Films of Keanu Reeves :: Keanu Reeves Starring in 'Knock Knock' Thriller for Eli Roth

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Keanu Reeves Starring in 'Knock Knock' Thriller for Eli Roth
Bliss
2014-04-10 13:12

Forum Posts: 146
Comments: 7
Reviews: 0
Have you ever been traveling somewhere with your gps guiding you and come across a detour? Your GPS instantly goes bananas and keeps saying " recalculating " ??? You just trust it will figure out where to go later in the mean time you are driving down the street thinking "Wtf...hurry up"!! Lol

That's how I feel about this Knock Knock movie, I have no clue why Keanu chose this role!! But in the end it will just make some sort of sense??? If not my mind will buffer and " recalculate " the meaning. Lol

Anakin McFly
2014-04-10 13:52

ADMIN

Forum Posts: 3074
Comments: 405
Reviews: 1

Agree MmeRenard, we all have trauma's we are working out. And seeing Keanu's movies will help with that more than hinder.

Sometimes it's precisely because it's Keanu that it makes things potentially harder and/or more traumatic to watch, though, vs if it's some other actor we don't care as much about. At least, that would be the case for me. Different people get disturbed by different things, even among those with similar histories of trauma, and while watching this kind of movie can definitely help some people heal, for others it can make it worse. It's a very individual thing - we each know ourselves best. And that's the same for Keanu as well.

LucaM
2014-04-10 15:26

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13
https://twitter.com/alfaxis/status/453950607963873281

https://twitter.com/alfaxis/status/453953978439442432

Alfredo Lewin
@alfaxis
"@JacasJavier: @alfaxis se fumaron uno?"//No, enganché a Keanu cuando le dije que estaba preparando un trabajo de James Joyce, #intelectual

;)

MmeRenard
2014-04-10 19:19

Forum Posts: 1101
Comments: 48
Thank you Anakin. That's very much what I mean. I don't like cruelty in general, whoever the actor may be. I like it much less when the "victim" (as language is being frequently used in articles) is Keanu. I also am not sure where people are getting the idea that this won't be a horror film, since at least half the articles I'm seeing are calling it just that. The interview with Roth suggests that he prefers scary, suspenseful films but I'm not at all sure that his oeuvre show that. There's abuse and there's abuse. Some is from childhood, some is more recent, some can be ongoing, and there are many kinds. What helps one person may not help another at all, as Anakin said. I think that probably Keanu is well aware of all of this. He is smart, he is strong, he is not at all hesitant to say when he us uncomfortable in a film. I trust him. I don't trust Roth.
LucaM
2014-04-10 20:15

I also am not sure where people are getting the idea that this won't be a horror film

From the director of the film, via Deadline:
http://www.deadline.com/2014/04/keanu-reeves-eli-roth-to-team-on-thriller-knock-knock/

[...] and I wanted to make a movie like Roman Polanski or Paul Verhoeven made when they were young, a classic psychosexual thriller that's not a horror movie, but would have everyone on the edge of their seats. Getting Keanu is amazing, he's a fine actor who is perfect for this.

MmeRenard
2014-04-10 20:53

I guess that I must have imagined those articles that said it was a horror film. I guess that doing "terrible, unspeakable" things to a character isn't horror. I guess that one can take everything that Roth says at face value.
Again, I am expressing my opinions and feelings. I am not disrespecting anyone else's feelings orvopinions. I think it is possible to disagree without being disagreeable. Perhaps I am mistaken. I am glad that Anakin understands and respects what I am saying.
LucaM
2014-04-10 21:26

In my world, a direct quote from the co-writer and director of the movie weighs more than anything those keyboard pushers copy/pasted from each other, changed the font, rearranged some paragraphs and concluded that it's gotta be horror, since that's what Eli Roth does, how dares he go out of his box?
(I vaguely remember articles saying what's that boy Reeves thinking by taking on character roles, he should stick to dumb action movies, that's what he does, he's messing with the labels 'we' stuck on him, how dares he? but I digress.)

So until I get to see the movie and decide for myself what it is or isn't, I'll just go with what the people actually making it say.
Of course, I can be wrong. It's just a personal opinion.

MmeRenard
2014-04-10 21:34

I totally agree, Luca, waiting to see the film and making up,our own minds is wise. Very good point,too, about the industry getting pissed about artists getting out of the boxes in which the industry has put them. Very very true.
axie
2014-04-11 05:23

Forum Posts: 345
Comments: 10
The only thing in film that ever upsets me is animals appearing to be hurt. Am I heartless? Most people who know me would probably say no.

I am pretty numb to pain in movies. Numb to adult humans being hurt IRL too. [especially by their own folly]

Kids and animals in real life being hurt now that breaks my heart. [can't watch those animal rescue ads on TV even!]
Those that know me best call me "big hearted" and "big softy" even though I've certainly had my fair share of hell in my life.

axie
2014-04-11 05:25

in my world, a direct quote from the co-writer and director of the movie weighs more than anything those keyboard pushers copy/pasted from each other, changed the font, rearranged some paragraphs and concluded that it's gotta be horror, since that's what Eli Roth does, how dares he go out of his box?

Exactly. How dare Roth do something non-horror! Must be a lie. How dare that boy Reeves not act like Ted, not act like Neo! How dare they do something different.

Anakin McFly
2014-04-11 10:03

ADMIN

Forum Posts: 3074
Comments: 405
Reviews: 1
Nah, I think it's just a matter of different definitions. Roth's definition of 'horror' might be basically the regular genre definition of it: i.e. involve monsters and supernatural things, and/or where the primary purpose is to scare the audience. Whereas non-supernatural torture and suchlike might not be officially horror under that definition, but doesn't mean it can't still be horrific.
ARYA
2014-04-11 21:58

Forum Posts: 2836
Comments: 74
Reviews: 11
I am still basking in the glow of Keanu making this kind of movie. I really did not even dare to imagine this theme. As always he is pushing boundaries that cause me some strange and wonderful directions of thought. It's like the roller coaster that I would never attempt in real life. But on the screen, I can go there.
axie
2014-04-11 23:05

I think it's just a matter of different definitions. Roth's definition of 'horror'

Roth's previous horror work has lots of gore and tends to be slasher flick style. So when he says "not horror" it may very well be horror to some. Where I think "Thriller/suspense/psychodrama"

The original as mentioned has a ton of potential. As bad as it was, it still kept me interested. With Roth and Reeves, my money is on "cult hit"

Freya
2014-04-12 00:10

Forum Posts: 777
Comments: 3
It's difficult to predict anything but as far as I remember I read the '47 Ronin' script and the movie was beyond my expectation, I meant better. Thus I can wait for a final result.
LucaM
2014-04-14 16:43

https://twitter.com/cassianelwes/status/452216305702035456

cassian elwes
‏@cassianelwes

@eliroth you are going to knock knock it out of the park. Keanu is going to be a fantastic partner So happy I could help

LucaM
2014-04-17 03:32

https://twitter.com/KnockKnockMovie
MmeRenard
2014-04-17 03:38

Oh look, it's a horror movie.
ARYA
2014-04-17 06:10

Forum Posts: 2836
Comments: 74
Reviews: 11
Oh shit. This one is going to kill me for sure. How some ever, I've said this before, and I'm still standing after 10+ years of Keanu movies.
I am excited but not going to lie, I am kinda scared. WTF are they going to do to him???
MmeRenard
2014-04-17 08:46

Well, see, that's my problem. There's the whole "terrible, unspeakable things" that has been bandied about. We have seen his characters suffer and even die - 47 Ronin is so beautiful but so heartrending - but nothing perverse. This sounds, well, awful to me, just sadistic and casual. I hate that in "Death Game" the cat gets thrown out the window and the delivery guy is drowned. I just found that disgusting.

On the other hand, I had reservations about The Gift, about Constantine, about Devils Advocate to some degree, and they are three of my favorite films. Inhale to believe that Keanu sees something in this that is worthwhile. I don't trust Roth. I haven't seen Hostel 1or 2 and won't - gratuitous torture is loathsome to me. Plenty of real torment in the world. I saw 12 Years a Slave in the theater and it was terribly hard, but there was a reason. I do trust Keanu. He's smart, he's strong, he does things for very specific reasons, and I don't expect that novelty and shock value are high on his list.

We've been talking a little about spirituality here and there. The old thing of "being afraid of the dark" - I've been down the rabbit hole and back, and the dark looks back at you. It takes great strength of character to emerge unharmed, but I believe that Keanu has that. I hope!

MmeRenard
2014-04-17 08:48

Before I scare myself any worse, can we please get back to the lime green Speedo? Purple will do, even black, or...well, you know...happier thoughts!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.